Last word on Sartre

Just to finish off on Sartre: this is the last paragraph of his autobiographical book Words it sums up all sorts of things for me, the last sentence especially, despite the unfortunate gender issue:


'I have never seen myself as the happy owner of a 'talent': my one concern was to save myself - nothing in my hands, nothing in my pockets - through work and faith. Now at last my unadulterated choice did not set me up above anyone: with neither tools nor equipment, I gave my entire self to the task of saving my entire self. If I put away Salvation among the stage properties as impossible, what is left? A whole man, made of all men, worth all of them, and any one of them worth him.'


And here are a couple of carefully contrasting videos for those who you who prefer the moving image...




Comments