Shadows and Light



If ever a year was both shadows and light, it was 2020. To borrow words from Michael Rosen that we found ourselves using a few times in our family, if you can't go round it or over it, you have to go through it. I hope wherever you are when you read this that going through 2020 has had some points of light. 

I started 2020 professionally readying Multiplying Leadership in Creative Communities for publication, then talking with others about it. I think the best of what we've seen during the year has confirmed the usefulness of the principles I described there: connect, collaborate and multiply. This has potential for new ways of working can take roots across the sector, although the muscle memory of old ways is strong. I end it writing something big for next year - more on that soon, but you could get some hints from reading my blogs over this year. 

It has been a time of release and loss for many, but also redesign and even new growth for some. The contradictions in the picture have been even more tender and painful than ever. So many things - good and bad - that were or felt fixed have been freed. How we move forward is for 2021 now. I hope you can, at least, have some respite over Xmas, and regather for 2021. We can't go round it. We can't go over it. We'll have to go through it.

One of the things that kept me steady-ish during lockdown was making a set of 55 'pieces' of 55 seconds - or variants of. This is a seasonal one I made from the fragments of John Fahey my clumsy hands of clay could manage. 


But if you want to listen to something proper, and seasonal, have a listen to this beautiful Christmas song by Holly Macve. (Holly is my niece, so I may be biased.) If you're missing someone, for whatever reason, you may want to be somewhere you can take a moment when you watch the video below. Holly will be releasing her second album next year, so that something to look forward to.


Comments